Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The Power of Prayer



Why ease into the new year when you get start it off with a bang! It's been a wild week for us... to say the least!

As Tawn mentioned below, we've had a very sick little boy. He's finally been admitted to Primary Children's where they can keep a close eye on him. The poor little guy has had diarrhea for the past 5 days. His stool culture finally grew and it was determined later this afternoon that he does have E-coli... the very bad one that has to run its course on its own. He's been in a lot of pain the last few days and it's been really hard to watch. Especially when you don't know what's wrong and there isn't a whole lot you can do to fix it. Dr. B sent us to UVRMC for an xray and ultrasound because the pain was progressively getting worse in his tummy. The ultrasound was extremely abnormal which is why we were sent home to pack our bags and head to Salt Lake. He's currently being monitored for any sign of kidney problems or anemia. Some of the lab work has come back abnormal so they are a little concerned but are hoping that it's just because he's passed so much blood.
They'll run some more tests again in the morning. It's been a hopping place around here with nurses, techs, residents, attendings, med students, etc. He's currently sleeping (thanks to pain meds) and I hope that he's finally able get a good nights rest (so I can too)!

We want to thank everyone who has been sending thoughts and prayers our way. We can feel them coming in our direction. We were truly blessed today when the culture finally decided to grow and showed E-coli. Even though there isn't much we can do right now, it's better than the other options we were given of Crohn's Disease or Ulcerative Colitis.

I told Lucas that his name is in 4 different temples and he now thinks he should be able to see them! I think we might just have to take him to one of the temple open houses when he's all better!

6 comments:

LeRoy & Anne Welling said...

Katie and Jed,
We just found out about Lucas! We are so sorry! LeAnne knows exactly what you are going through. We will definitely keep him in our prayers and for you and Jed too! Keep us updated on his progress!
Love,
Anne and Roy

Denise said...

Katie, I am soooo sorry. We are praying for you and Lucas, and Jed and Kody too!

We love you!!!!

Hugs.

kate said...

My mom called to tell me about Lucas, we are all praying for him and your little family. Loves.

Kimber said...

I'm glad you finally got some answers!

Your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

Lissagerl said...

Chaetun was begging his grandma to be able to come down and see Lucas. He wants to be able to bring him the picture he drew for Lucas himself. I talked to your dad this morning. I hope things make a turn for the better soon! We are thinking and praying for you guys!

David and Shayla said...

We'll be praying for Lucas. I can't imagine how scarry that is for you and him. Thank heavens for good doctors and family to pray you through it!