Good News First...
His stomach, which has been so painful to touch, move, etc. is finally soft and not nearly as tender... yeah! He still complains of it hurting a little but as long as his lying down he says he feels good. It looks like the E.coli bacteria is finally deciding to leave... lets hope!
A funny story...
Nurse Brooke came in and asked him to point on the chart at which face he was feeling like. He was a little confused at first and wasn't quite sure what to do. Then he asked her "well which one gives me medicine, that's the one I am".
Lucas received a fun surprise present from the Beatty cousin's in VA. He was so excited and the little toy airplane hasn't left his side since he opened it. Thank You!
Bad News
This morning I received the news that his blood work was significantly worse than yesterday. This points to Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome which is a condition that can present itself after E.coli. It can cause Anemia and Kidney Failure, although rarely is it ever permanent. The dr. this morning said that she has seen patients with horrible lab work turn around within a day, others end up in ICU on dialysis. We, of course, are praying for the first. It looks like we'll be setting up camp for a few days here at PCMC regardless. He's had two naps today which were desperately needed. He was quite restless last night and even watched a whole movie during the night... I tried to sleep through it! They'll be doing more lab work in about 2 hours to see how things are going. I'll do my best at keeping you posted on any changes.
Thank You!
We couldn't do this with out all of your support. My mom has taken over the care of Kody and we really appreciate it... and I'm sure he's in heaven! Tawn was willing to come give me a little break on Tuesday (and brought us dinner) and then came right over when I needed her to watch Kody while I took Lucas to the dr. yesterday. Paulette is going to come sit with Lucas tomorrow while we go to our ultrasound for the baby (a bright spot to a rather bad week). My sister, nurse Shara, is flying in today to stay with me here at the hospital. I'm very excited. Especially since she can help me understand what they are saying and know the right questions to ask! Thank you to each of you for your phone calls, messages, thoughts and prayers. We know we have a big support group of family and friends and we appreciate each one of you.
If Lucas could type, I know he'd want to tell each one of you thank you and he loves you... and we do too!
Thursday, January 08, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
katie, oh my gosh. i just got on and saw everything that little lucas has been going through. i am so, so sorry and will pray that he recovers quickly and completely. i can only imagine the stress you guys have felt watching your little guy be in pain and go through all of this. many, many prayers. hang in there.
So sorry for Lucas. We are definitely keeping him in our prayers. Hang in there Valentine family.
Katie,
You are in our thoughts and prayers. Thank goodness you are at PCMC, not the greatest place to get a good night's rest, but the staff are amazing and they will work wonders with Lucas. Please let me know if you need anything, (I'm happy to run it up to you) or have questions on how to best survive living in the hospital when you are not the patient, which is a whole new experience. Good Luck!
Hugs,
Michele
hey guys, we have been praying for you and our thoughts are with all of you, especially lucas!! hope you start feeling LOTS better soon:)
I am so sorry! We will definitely be praying for you guys and especially for Lucas. Please keep us posted!
Katie,
Thanks so much for keeping us updted! We continue to pray for Lucas. Just know that we love you and are in our thoughts and prayers constantly.
Love,
Anne and Roy
I hope everything turns out well and Lucas recovers soon! I'm sure you feel so helpless... just looking at his picture breaks my heart!
So sorry that Lucas has had to battle this horrible bug. It isn't fair to have these little guys have to fight such big fights. We are all praying for you and your family and are so proud that you are such great parents. Good Luck and tell your mom that we will share her as long as we have to, so she can be with the ones that are needing her at this time. luv you guys OXOX
We love you guys sooo much! Hope all is well soon.
Hugs.
Katie, I feel so bad! I have been a little out of it in the blog world for a couple days, but had the thought to check your blog, but didn't until today! I am so sorry to hear about Lucas' rough time! Please let me know if I can do anything to help! We will include Lucas and your family in our prayers! Hang in there!
Post a Comment