Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Was it all a Dream??!!

You know how when you come home from a vacation and once you unpack and settle in, it feels like it never happened?! Okay, maybe that just happens to me, but still... that's how I feel after our "vacation" in Salt Lake. We spent 10 days at Primary Children's with Lucas (not to mention the 4 very sick days at home prior to the hospital). What seemed like a never ending nightmare during the ordeal feels like a fading dream now.

You may be tired of reading about this by now, but I have to write it down. I need to be able to re-read everything we went through later on to remember what a miracle it was to bring Lucas home with us. Although not as common now days (but still possible and does happen), children can die from e.coli O157:H7 and the resulting HUS. I'm sure I've mentioned this in a previous post, but not everyone develops HUS. But for those that do, the kidney's begin to fail or their body starts destroying all it's red blood cells... or both. Lucas had both.

It was a blessing that we were sent to Primary Children's for his care. The dr.'s see enough cases of e.coli in children during the year (although extremely rare in January) that they know exactly what to look for. Our 3 Nephrologists were (mostly) on the same page and they weren't about to send him home until he was stable for a couple of days or improving in all areas. The residents were great, especially doctor Katie, who we got to see a lot and Lucas really liked. As much as I like our local hospital, I'm not sure the care would have been quite the same given the circumstances.

We were blessed with some incredible nurses and despite Lucas' mood swings (and occasional night attacks), they smiled and never complained. In fact, they claimed he'd reached celebrity status and was a highly requested patient by the nurses. We had many past nurses stop in to see him, even when they weren't covering our pod. They spoiled him with more prizes for being brave through all the pokes and pinches than I think he got for Christmas! And... they let me bug them with questions, concerns and requests without making me feel silly for asking.

We have the best family and friends. It's amazing how situations like this can draw people closer together. I know there were many prayers offered on behalf of Lucas and our family because we could feel them. Our families had special fasts just for Lucas. I'm extremely grateful for the power of priesthood blessings that were able to comfort Lucas and the men who remain worthy to perform them. I'm thankful to our ward that expressed so much love and concern for our little guy. For the phone calls and visits from so many of you. Thank you to those who helped with Kody so that I could focus my attention where it needed to be. There were so many tender mercies that came our way and we'll be forever grateful for those.

I'm most grateful to my Heavenly Father for allowing me to remain calm through all of this. I had my moments, but I know that I couldn't have handled watching Lucas go through everything if it hadn't been for the comforter by my side. I know many who saw him at the beginning and/or heard his story thought the worst and rightfully so... he was very very sick. Looking around, at times I felt like I was the only one holding it together and I'm grateful that He put me in that position. It allowed me to remain at Lucas' side, even during the hard times. My testimony of my Savior has grown so much. He does hear our prayers and he does have a hand in all things.

And just a little update...
He had his blood drawn on Monday and we found out the results yesterday. (Apparently "stat" no longer applies when you leave the hospital.) Everything is within just a few points of normal except for his Hct, but that has gone up to 24.9 from 23.6 when we left. Every thing's looking up.

A true miracle.



Two things...

1) You know your child must be feeling better when he gets home from the hospital and immediately changes into his "hard" pants! (aka Jeans)

2) I promise we changed his pajamas daily (at least) even though the pictures would prove otherwise.

15 comments:

Kimber said...

I'm sorry your family had to pass through this trial, but it's amazing what strength can be found through the support of faith, family, and friends. I'm glad that Lucas is on the mend!

No Buckaroos said...

Thanks for sharing your feelings - it is good to remember all those "tender mercies" that came. See you soon.

Anonymous said...

What a blessing and a miracle for your family! I am so glad that you are home from your "vacation". What a story of faith and miracle, thanks for sharing!

Tawnya said...

A true miracle indeed. Thanks for sharing how it was for you. I know that you were blessed to have been able to stay calm when others were having a harder time. You are such an example to me and many others around you. This experience definitley strenghtened my testimony in the power of prayer and the miracle that it is. I'm so glad that he is on the mend. I love that little stinker so much!

Paulette said...

We are so glad he is doing better. We are so blessed to have you as Lucas and Kody's mother, what a great example of strength you are to me and many other people. We love you and especially those two little boys. OXOX

kate said...

You are one amazing person. Thanks for keeping us all updated, we are so glad he feels like wearing hard pants!

Tanya said...

(My parents live in Honeyville, used to be in the same ward as your parents...my mom directed me to your blog half way thru your hospital story.)
I just wanted to say I'm so happy for you and how things have turned out for your little guy. Truly a miracle, and thank you for sharing. And what a wonderful record to have and look back on!

Chris Grover said...

katie, i'm sooo glad you guys are finally to the point where you can kinda feel like this all was a dream! probably the worst 10 days you've had in a long time, i'm sure. but i'm so glad you were blessed with all that you needed to get through it, and most importantly sooo glad that little lucas is feeling so much better!

Aaron.Shara.Abby said...

You strong woman you! While the grandma fell apart you stood strong, except for one minor morning, then I had to step in :)!! So glad miracles happen and prayers are answered, we love the little Lucas and you too!

Lisa Summers & Fam said...

I am sooo glad Lucas is doing better. My husband was checking blogs for me and told me of the situation. Talease stopped to visit while she wqas up, how scary. Congrats on the new boy!!! Looks like you had angels watching over your special little guy!

Sperry Family said...

We are so happy and relieved Lucus is well again. It's amazing how you can look back and see all the blessings and realize that we can learn so much in our trials, especially that Heavenly Father loves us!

Jamie said...

I'm so happy Lucas is feeling so much better. I love reading miracle stories like yours--it reminds me how God is watching over each of us, and gives us all what we need. Yay for miracles!

Nathan, Mariann &Talon said...

I am soooo glad that ucas is better. I was really scared for him. We love you all and hope to see you soon and not at a hospital. :)

Dennis and Diane said...

...oh Katie, we have been thinking and praying for you and Lucas and your little family every day...we are so happy that he is home and improving every day....you are a real trooper!!! Love, Diane and Dennis

Anonymous said...

Katie

I'm so happy for your family and for Lucas. You guys are a testament to us and how strong you are and I love how you post your testimony on your blog. I think your awesome. It's been forever since we've seen you guys but your blog makes it seem like it hasn't been as long. Thanks!!