Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Oh Happy Day...

We had the dr. stop by this afternoon he mentioned that he'll be for at least a couple more days. With the new blood transfusion they have to make sure that his levels don't rise and than fall again like they did last time. They also have to make sure that his kidney levels continue to fall. We don't necessarily have to be in the "normal" range but need to be headed in that direction consistently before they'll consider releasing him. He also mentioned that he'll probably need weekly blood draws once we leave to make sure everything is maintaining. He's going to love that!

I'm shooting for a weekend discharge date. I don't want to get my hopes up too high!

The resident that was with the dr. also talked about how they were doing everything they could to get the isolation ban removed. I wasn't to optimistic since they were pretty adamant this morning that there was nothing we could do until he poops. Although... I still pled my case... again! About 30 seconds after they left the room he came back in with some very good news... we no longer have a nice "contaminated room" poster adorning our door. The senior resident from this morning went to the top of the supervisor chain and they finally gave the go ahead. Apparently some of his stool had come back negative for shiga-toxins, but they weren't able to test for e.coli. Not sure why we didn't find this out two days ago... oh well.

We're Free At Last!

Tonight Jed pushed him down to the playroom in his car. He walked with me to the candy machines. And I pushed him again in his car to pick out a movie. I think he's enjoying his new found freedom. I know I am.
He and his dad enjoyed some playstation baseball and we all played a game of animal rummy, Lucas style.

His transfusion went well this afternoon. He slept through about 3 hours of it, although he was not cooperative during the vital checks. We're glad it's over and hope his body decides to keep these instead of destroy them.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie

I just wanted to let you know that Lucas and your family have been in our prayers and the kids as us every day how he is. You are a strong person and a great mom. I just realized your having another boy!! Congrats on that. It's great to hear about Lucas' progress!! Keep your spirits high! Love Ya!

Torrie and the whole
Wyoming family!!!

LeRoy & Anne Welling said...

Katie and Jed,
We're glad that Lucas is almost out of the woods. We have been praying for him constantly. Ecoli is not something to be taken lightly!
We love you so much and hope everything keeps going up for you!
Love,
Roy and Anne

Kimber said...

It was so nice to see you and Lucas yesterday; I'm glad he's finally been able to be out and about!

We continue to pray for his recovery.

No Buckaroos said...

Yeah! He's probably loving his new found freedom! Let us know if there's anything you need. Kody sends XX's and OO's. We are sure enjoying him. Love you lots.

Denise said...

Katie, I am so glad to hear the good news. We have all been praying for you and sending you our love.

Keep the faith!!!

Sperry Family said...

Finally some good news! Hope you get to go home soon!

The Perkins said...

We are keeping you guys in our prayers, I'm glad you have been updating so we know what is going on. I'm so happy to hear he has been able to get out of that room...what a relief!!

Tawnya said...

Freedom! Now tell him to hurry up and come home! I miss his goofy self! We are praying for you!

Aaron.Shara.Abby said...

As soon as I leave, he gets to go play! I miss you guys already! It probably won't be long now! Love you!

Samantha said...

I'm happy to read that he's no longer in isolation! Yea! I check back daily, so that I can see how things are going. Thanks for keeping us updated!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that good news! That little boy is so brave, and so are you guys!

Jamie said...

YAY! I am so happy that Lucas is almost home!