So here I sit...early in the morning and I can't go back to sleep. Jed already left for work and since he left, I've just been tossing and turning in bed. My mind keeps wondering back to a blog that I read last night. It pretty much puts into reality the importance of being prepared for everything and anything. I ask myself, "Are we prepared?"...I think not!
While I was home a few weekend ago, I attended Relief Socitey with my mom. I had to laugh because everytime I do, they are always doing some activity with food storage. I had mentioned to my mom and dad that the R.S. activities in this ward would drive me crazy after awhile. But they did do something that I thought was extremely helpful. The food storage person gave out a handout that had a list of about 6-8 items on it you should buy in the month of February. I really liked this idea because it included items like hand soap and laundry detergent. Those kind of items I never think about because it's called food storage. Buying everything on the list would have been between 10-15 dollars...not to shabby!
Sometimes I feel that the subject can be beaten to death, but my dad brought up something that I hadn't thought about. He said "being prepared is a principle of the gospel, just like paying your tithing. As leaders (he's in the bishopric) in the church we're suppose to teach the correct principles, but than the people are free to govern themselves. Just because we know how important it is to pay tithing doesn't mean we write the check out for those who don't. They have to choose to do it." The same would apply to those of us who have slacked in the area of being prepared! It's overwhelming when someone tells you how much wheat and rice you need for every person. We do owe a big thanks to Jed's parents because when they moved, they gave us their food storage. We have quite a bit now...especially wheat. The only problem is that I haven't got a clue what to do with it. Apparently I need to get a grinder! For Christmas they also gave us a nice 72 hour kit for Jed & I and one for Lucas. Paulette is the Emergency Prepardness Coordinator for Southwest Utah. She has always said that it is not if but when the Bird Flu gets here. There are only so many stages that the virus has to go through before humans can contract it. I don't remember the exact number, but it is definitely coming closer to reaching that point. The scary thing is that there is nothing you can do about. Some people will be able to fight the virus on there own, but lots will die from it. I was looking at her website and I found these checklists for anyone who is interested.
This brings me to my new coupon system. With the help of coupons and the website you can stock up on regular food such as spaghetti sauce, noodles, refried beans, pizzas, etc. when they are at a really good price. You'll slowly build up a supply of food that will allow you to mix some good food with the canned food and have a decent meal...when the time should come. My other worry is our water supply...which is at zero! What I thought I would start doing is buying bottled water when it's really cheap. Last week, Macey's had 24 for 2.99 which worked out to 12 cents a bottle. I figured I'd start storing it like this until we figure out another system.
So today I resolve to be better at preparing our little family for the worst. It's not something I like to think about, but by thinking about it, maybe I'll be able accomplish this huge task!
Wednesday, February 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
It makes me want to live right next door to family so we can help each other out
You are so good! Hopefully I can follow your example!
Wow, I have never even thought about a food storage. We wouldn't be prepared. Very good idea!!
Your blogs always inspire me to do more or be better! We have no room for food storage yet so I guess we'll come over for some wheat cassorole when disaster strikes!
Post a Comment