Sunday, February 25, 2007

Count My Blessings...

I've had a bit of an emotional weekend and needed to write down my feelings. On Saturday was Carter Sperry's birthday party. He turned one. He is such a doll! The party was held at a condo clubhouse down by UVSC. While we were all sitting around one of the side doors got opened. One of the people standing by the door told us that our boy had gone out the door. I hurried out the door to get him. By the time I turned the corner he had already ran down the side walk and was standing at the edge of the road. I started screaming at him to stop and started running after him. I then tripped on the sidewalk and fell. I quickly got up and saw that he had also fallen in the road. I ran and picked him up and as I was walking back to the sidewalk, I mouthed "Thank You" to the Black SUV who had stopped for him. Pretty soon Jed came out the door and I started sobbing as I told him what had happened. I was crying because I was scared for what could have happened. I was crying because I was still holding my little boy in my harms and thankful that it wasn't worse. And I was crying because I was in so much pain. When I had fallen, I had scrapped up the left side of my body...my elbow, hip, knee, and I couldn't stand on my right leg because that knee was in lots of pain. Jed wanted to take me to the dr., but I figured it was just bruised. Eventually I was able to hobble around. I'm feeling better today although it still hurts a lot to stand up and go up and down stairs.

So today I count my blessings...
1. For the driver of the SUV that was paying attention and stopped.
2. For the cowboy boots that Lucas was wearing. They may have looked funny with his outfit (he put them on himself), but I KNOW they made him trip.
3. That I didn't land on my stomach when I fell and that since the fall, I've still been able to feel the baby move.
4. For a little boy that melts my heart and gives the best hugs and kisses.
5. For a husband who was concerned about me.
6. And most of all...for a Heavenly Father who protected out little family.

And now I ask for advice. How do you teach a two year old that the road is a dangerous place? It's the first place he runs to whenever we're outside.

5 comments:

JANIS HOLLAHAN said...

Thanks, now I am crying. I think I am too much like my dad. I am so glad nothing happened. I can't even imagine being in that situation. I freaked out when my nephew Zak ran across the road in front of a semi by your parents a few months ago. I know for a fact the reason he is still here is because Brandon and Kyle where there that day. There was also someone there that Saturday watching over you and Lucas.

Anonymous said...

You were certainly being watched out for. We are so glad everyone is okay. We have too many blessings to count!
Love
MOM and DAD

Chris Grover said...

Katie, what a day you had! I'm soooo glad Lucas is ok, and hopefully you're feeling better too. What a scare!

Aaron.Shara.Abby said...

We are so glad everything is okay. Now, you can't teach a two year old yet! Can't take you eyes off of them I guess :)

Anonymous said...

What a scare!! I was so relieved when I got to the bottom to find out everyone was okay...Thank you for the reminder to count our blessings!!
Talease