
Grandpa & Kody
On Friday night my Grandpa Clouse passed away. It feels a bit surreal right now. He died with his daughters (my mom) and Grandma all with him. I have a special place in my heart for my grandparents and love them so much.
For awhile I've wanted to write down things I remember about them or doing with them, but never got around to it. It makes me mad now that I didn't do it sooner. But I still want to remember everything so I'm doing it now. (In no particular order)
I REMEMBER...
Spending many summers and Christmas' visiting Grandpa and Grandma in Virden.
PEPSI!
Riding on the tailgate and singing "to the dump, to the dump, to the dump dump dump" as grandpa or grandma drove the pickup up to the big hole in the ground... the Virden dump!
Helping grandpa irrigate. Riding with him to turn on the pump and walking along the ditch as he started every tube. He'd tried to teach me, but I'm not sure I ever got one started.
Visiting grandma at the post office and being treated to a dum-dum every time we went. I also remember getting to stay with her once and having to hid behind the counter every time a customer came in.
Grandpa paying me to touch the electric fence. I'm pretty sure I only did that once!
Playing with all the cousins down at the river, in the ditch by the house and every time they flooded the lawn.
Grandpa's endless supply of certs and lifesavers in his closet.
Shopping with Grandma at Boyd Brother's and always leaving with a bullet Popsicle... the best!
Their year supply of pop (mostly Pepsi) in the fridge in the shed.
Every time Grandma would come to Utah, we would stop at Pikets so she could by some new clothes.
Staying an extra week in Virden one summer. I got extremely homesick and I'm sure they were never more ready to send some one home!! They spent a lot of time trying to keep my distracted.
Spending 2 of my favorite summers living with them in Mesa. Once when I was 16 and again when I was 19.
Playing Runs and Bunches
Doing crossword puzzles every morning and trying to fill in the ones Grandma had missed, but hardly knowing any of them. I preferred the one in the T.V. Guide!
Watching Who Wants to be a Millionaire every week and thinking we were so smart!
Having family prayer every morning before I would head to work.
Yelling for Grandma cause there was a blasted cockroach and I was to chicken to step on it. I did get braver as time went on.
Grandma got a long stem white carnation for Mother's Day. I always thought it was funny cause their was no note, ribbon, or even a leaf on it. We decided to experiment and put it in water with food coloring to see if we could get it to change. The next morning I came up the stairs and it was pink. I couldn't believe it had worked. And then they both started laughing. Grandpa had got up early and dunked the flower and fooled both me and grandma. I look forward to my call every Mother's Day to ask grandma what she got this year.
Missing them so much after I moved back home that I went back down to spend Christmas with them.
Having Grandpa and Grandma attend our wedding in the Logan temple.
Visiting them not long after Grandpa had his stroke. He was using a walker and Lucas would sit on the seat while Grandpa took him for rides out to get the mail. Lucas was about 18 months. Lucas fell in love with Grandpa and actually learned to say "grandpa" on this trip.

Grandpa and Lucas
Every time I call on the phone, all I have to do is say "Hi Grandma" or "Hey Grandpa" and they'd know exactly who I was.
They have always made me fill special and loved!
I know I'll think of more as time goes one. I'm going to miss my grandpa a lot. I'm grateful for eternal families and I'm glad I'll finally get to give my mom and grandma a big hug this week.
Grandpa, I love you!

7 comments:
Katie...i'm so sorry for you loss.
Katie-
I'm been reading on your mom's blog to stay updated- I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your Grandpa. Know that you and your family are in my prayers.
Lisa
We will miss him! I liked reading some of your memories. I put some of the same ones on my post--hope you don't mind.
I did the same, but those are the memories we all have! I just finished mine and that was a chore, a little too many tears! It still doesn't seem real that he is gone. He has 4 weeks to give Dax some good advice.
So sorry about your grandpa. He sounds like the perfect grandpa to have!
Grandma loved reading your blogs - thanks for sharing them! Can't wait till you all come.
I am so sorry for your loss, it's never easy losing someone we slove so much but it makes it easier to think that when we are chosen to leave this life we will have someone we love right there with us.
Post a Comment