Sunday, May 31, 2009

Arrival Story


How could you not just kiss on those chubby cheeks.


Now for his arrival story...


I had an appointment on Thursday and Dr. Glenn decided to start us Friday morning if he didn't come in between. I got a call at 5:30 Friday morning asking us to be at the hospital by 6:30. Because I was Group B positive, I needed 4 hours of antibiotics before he came. I got settled about 7:15 and they started the medicine about 7:30.





I was still a 3 1/2 and 85% (and had been that for the last 3 weeks). Dr. Glenn broke my water around 8:15 and then started the pitocin about 8:45 after I had the full dose of antibiotic. Since my previous deliveries had gone fast they wanted to make sure I had it in me for as close to the 4 hours as possible. The contractions started getting harder after the pitocin but not extremely close together. I got an epidural about 9:15 but was only around a 5. The nurse turned up the pitocin a couple times in the next 1/2 hour and it didn't take long before I was feeling things! The nurse checked me one more time and I was ready. She called the doctor and the NICU (in case he swallowed meconium). I pushed through on contraction and 1 more little push and at 10:38 he was here. Dr. Glenn's first comment was wow he's a 10 pounder and well endowed! He also had the chunkiest cord the doctor had ever seen. It was at least 1 1/2 to 2 inches around. He wouldn't even let Jed cut it cause it took multiple cuts to get through it. Apparently Ryker had quite the food supply! He weighed 9lbs 7ozs and actually surprised everyone in the room that that was all he weighed.








I didn't get to see him for long, but new instantly that I love him and would fit in perfectly. He was taken to the NICU for monitoring since he was making a funny breathing sound, but apparently only spent about 5 minutes there and then was taken to the regular nursery. Jed was with him and said that his legs were to fat to get the blood pressure cuff around so they had to do it around his arm. We only made it 3 hours with the antibiotics so he had to be monitored for any signs of that. And because he was large for his age (that's what the nurse said) he had to have his vitals taken more often and his blood sugar taken ever 6 hours. With all the 'extra' things he had to go through, it was nice to hear his jaundice levels were really low so he doesn't have to be re poked.

I chilled up in the labor room for the next hour or so afterwards with the shakes and chills (as always) and then was transferred down to mother and baby. It was nice to finally get to hold our little guy and love on him. He looked a lot like Kody with Lucas' chin (or no chin). He is perfect and we are so grateful to have him as part of our family.







3 comments:

Aaron.Shara.Abby said...

That arrival was very quick! I hope mine goes just as quick. He's too precious!

Messenger said...

Yeah, he's here, he is so cute he looks like his daddy, good job Katie I'm glad he's here safe and sound

Anonymous said...

Oh Katie, he is so cute! Don't you just love chunky babies!? It is funny though, you don't realize how big 9lbs really is until you see a picture of a 9lb newborn! You looks fantastic in those pictures...you definitely don't look like you just had a baby! Congratulations to you all!