Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where Were You?

Do you remember where you were and what you were doing 7 years ago today? The day America felt united. The day our course shifted directions.

I do.


I lived in Orem in a Chambery townhomes, west of the freeway, with Hillary and Jenine. That morning I didn't turn on the tv while I was getting ready (maybe I was running behind). I didn't start paying much attention to the radio (K-Bull 93) until I got stopped on top of the overpass at a red light. As I was listening to them talk about the planes that had crashed into the World Trade Centers, I thought it must be some sort of joke.


I was working at UVSC (now UVU) in the Human Resource department. As I got to work, everyone was crowded in the directors office staring the tiny tv. We just sat there watching... and watching... and watching. Replaying over and over again the video of the second plane. I honestly could not believe what was happening. I watched it live as the first tower went down. We all sucked in breath. And then second tower went down... I watched the people as they ran for their lives, covered in ash and rubble.


I remember hearing about the pentagon. I remember reading a ticker across the bottom of the broadcast about a plane crashing in Pennsylvania. At the time, they were unsure if it was related to the other attacks.


I remember walking down the hall of flags and the hundreds of students crowded around the t.v's. I'm sure many missed their classes. I remember being told to fill up our cars with gas because it was going to rise over $5 a gallon.


It's amazing how an event can change our lives in just a split second. How we can feel connected to people we've never met. How our heart breaks for those that lost loved ones. How proud we feel of the heroes who stepped in harms way to save the life of someone else. And for a brief moment, in complete chaos, everyone was united in one cause.

2 comments:

acte gratuit said...

I thought it was a joke when I heard it on the radio too...Something like "War of the Worlds".

And then I joined you at work in H.R.

What a horrible day!

Aaron.Shara.Abby said...

I was at Utah State, Shalise, Dave, Cortney, and I all drove home and filled up on gas. We couldn't believe it.