Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Olympic Withdrawls...

What is it about the Summer Olympics?! They capture my full attention. It seems I'm living vicariously through the athletes and I want them all to do good (or bad if you're a Chinese diver...for heaven sakes...just miss a dive for once). My eyes start to hurt from staring so long and then I realize it's 12:30. No wonder! But only after Bob Costas wishes us a good night (or day in China) was I able to pull myself of the couch and drag my lazy bones to bed. Only to repeat the process starting at 7:00 the next night.

Here's a recap of my favorite moments (in no particular order 'cause I don't want to move the pictures around)


Shawn Johnson winning the gold on the balance beam... and the whole USA gymnasts for that matter. I love watching gymnastics. I was never good at it (although I wanted to be). The best I could ever do was a back bend, and I'm not even sure I learned how to flip over while I was in it...I could stand back up though!



Lolo Jones favored to win, but fell during the 100m hurdles. I felt so bad for her, but I thought she was awesome by the way she handled herself afterwards. A very classy lady if you ask me. Maybe it's just me, but a good portion of those track athletes seem very, Very, VERY cocky! Not my favorite events to watch...mostly because of the attitude.



Dara Torres. How could you not love this woman! 41 years old and still winning medals. I loved how she was concerned for the swimmer whose swimming suit ripped and made sure that they didn't start the race until she was ready. And she's got a sense of humor! Such a good role model... in the pool and out!



The women's beach volleyball when Misty May Treanor & Kerri Walsh won their 2nd strait gold medal... in the rain! How could you not want to play volleyball after watching them.



Micheal Phelps and the entire US swim team! Holy spamoli they were awesome to watch. The 4x100 where Jason Lezak came back to win. INCREDIBLE! And even though it was late at night... I was still cheering loudly hoping not to wake my hubby and children! Smash the US... I think not! And...how in the world Mr. Phelps made it to the wall first in the butterfly, I'll never know, but he did and I was one proud American!

Thank you Beijing (spoken with a hard "j") for an awesome Olympics!

Time to sign my kid up for gymnastics. Oh wait, I already did. He starts tomorrow!

2 comments:

Kimber said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one going through withdrawals!

I loved every one of those moments you posted. I was thinking about the Olympics yesterday, wondering why they hold such great appeal. I think that it's not only the great show of athleticism (sp?), but also the spirit of humanity and brotherhood that unites the world for those brief, few weeks.

Lissagerl said...

Cool!! The boys can compete in the olympics together! Instead of it being the Hamm (sp?) twins it can be the Nicholas cousins (though none of them are actually Nicholas' :) )