Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Happy Birthday Daddy-O

I wanted to wish my dad a very happy birthday. We hope you have a wonderful snake-free day! You are such a great example to each of us and we love you very much.

We spent the past weekend up in Honeyville with my parents. I was so excited for my dad (and mom) to open his birthday slash father's day & mother's day present. We all went in to get them something special, and I think it turned out awesome. So much so, that I ordered a set for me!

Photobucket

Photobucket
The painting is by my dad's cousin Liz Lemon Swindle called "Seeking The One". The poem is called "Riding for the Brand" and my amazing dad wrote it. I hope he doesn't mind if I post it on here.

Riding for the Brand

“What does it mean?” The boy asked
This riding for the brand
I’ve never heard that term before
I just don’t understand.

The cowboy smiled, then reminisced
Of ranchers and their land
And when you hired on to ride their range
Then you rode for their brand.

When they sent you on a cattle drive
Through sleet or burning sand
You stuck it out and did your job
Cuz you rode for the brand

When rustlers came to steal the herd
You stayed and made a stand
And didn’t turn and ride away
Cuz you rode for the brand

No one questioned your allegiance
The cowboy said with pride
So kid, just be committed
To the brand for which you ride

Now each of us has hired on
To ride the Saviors spread
And gather in the souls of men
The living and the dead

And when we’re faced with trials
Do we stand and make a fight
Or roll our bed and pack our gear
And ride off out of sight

Cuz the work ain’t always easy
It has its ups and downs
There’s joy and disappointment
When there’s souls that must be found

But when our work is over
And the Lord extends His hand
May it be said of each of us
That we rode for the brand.

Mark Nicholas




Evidence that Lucas helped make Grandpa's birthday cake.
Photobucket


The rest are some pictures I took of the Kesler family. I've had a blast playing around with textures...what do you think?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

7 comments:

Denise said...

Awesome photos. Love the textures.

Aaron.Shara.Abby said...

Happy B-day Dad! I like the pictures, they look great!

Tawnya said...

Haha nice title! Thanks for taking the pictures!

No Buckaroos said...

Nice pics - and thanks again for the gift- we do love them.

Lissagerl said...

Looks like your mom liked the gifts...I can tell by the recent tear stained face. :) That was a great gift! I love the pictures. There is sooooo much to learn with that program! Chris and I are working on it, but we've got a long ways to go!

Angie Tolman said...

Katie, I was just wondering if that is one he used to share around the campfire at the ward parties. I love hearing your dad recite poems and I know he wrote some of them, but it's been so long. I love those times!!!
That picture is beautiful!! You did a nice job picking it out. Also your sister and her family look so cute I love the blue eyes!! Her baby is darling!!

Lisa Summers & Fam said...

I love the poem, your dad is soooo talented. I want a copy so I can remember it. I will have to keep looking on your blog.