Monday, August 30, 2010

It’s only taken me 15 months…

DSC_0028

to realize that this little boy has an attached tongue!  (at least I think he does).  The other day I was trying to get him to stick his tongue out cause I could see a sore on the end of it.  Then it dawned on me… I bet he can’t!  I’ve never, in his whole 15 months of life, seen him stick his tongue out of his month.  No wonder he he drools like a mad man!  (refer to picture above)  He doesn’t have another appointment until 18 months.  I guess I need to research a bit on how and when they clip it.  Then find out if I need to get him in sooner.

1 comment:

Staci Scott said...

My 2 youngest had tied tongues and have had theirs clipped. I didn't notice Hayden's until he was 10 months old, but the doc said it wasn't a big deal and that they don't routinely clip them anymore. I took his word for it and as Hayden started talking, I assumed it was all just baby talk. Then when he was 4 I decided it was not just baby talk, took him to an ENT, and the ENT agreed to clip it under anesthesia. He still struggles with speaking because he learned to speak the wrong way because he didn't have the range of motion he should have, and some articulation muscles were underdevelpoed because of it. He is still getting therapy and he gets very frustrated when we don't understand what he is saying.
When I had my little girl, her tongue was one of the first things I checked, and sure enough, she was tongue-tied. I didn't want to leave the hospital until it was taken care of. But then again, the docs said it wasn't a big deal. So when we were released from the hospital, I took her right to our pediatrician and he referred us to a pediatric ENT. The pediatric ENT clipped it right in his office. He pulled her tongue out with some pliers and snipped it with scissors. He didn't numb her or anything. He said the numbing shot would hurt just as bad as the actual clipping. It was so sad! I bawled and bawled right with her, but I knew it had to be done. SO first of all, I would suggest getting it done. And 2nd, if your doc doesn't want to do anything about it, I learned to get a second opinion. Good luck! I hope your doc agrees to clip it!